Wednesday, September 16, 2009

2nd Life

Second Life - a online 3D virtual world imagined and created by its Residents. (www.secondlife.com)

It was very interesting to be in the MXL studio today and introduced to Second Life. There was an almost exact replica of the MXL studio virtually in Second Life. Impressive.

I wasn't really a fan of 3D games, as I always think I feel kind of dizzy after some long hours. Probably I'm not used to it. My first experience with 3D games was in Counter-Strike. Players can know and chat with each other in front of their computers during the game itself which was what made it fun to me. Second Life has this chat function too.. good. :)

During the introduction, we were brought into one of the tsunami world where an tsunami occurrence was able to be simulated. Wow, it will indeed be useful for student to know what it would be like seeing for themselves.

While we are being shown on the different worlds, I began to think how it can be useful in my future teaching of Maths & EBS. I do not think I can create a world in Second Life, at least not as impressive as the ones we saw. So the next best will be to find a suitable created world to utilize it. I will need to take alot of time to explore them.

Is there a world already created where students go in and learn how to solve Maths problems? .. If anyone knows of any, do share with me ok? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment